This is the entry level of the Master Beekeeper Program. To complete this level, the beekeeper should be familiar with the basic skills and knowledge necessary to become a beekeeper. The prospective beekeeper will be required to have a minimum of 1 season experience before they can take the practical.
Pass a written and practical test.
- Describe the parts of the beehive
- Light and properly use a smoker
- Recognize the various stages of brood
- Recognize the different castes of bees
- Find the queen or describe how to find the queen and what she looks like
- Differentiate between bee brood, pollen, capped honey, and uncapped honey
- Identify propolis and describe its function in the hive
Recommended Reading for Beginner Beekeepers
- Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees.
- 'First Lessons in Beekeeping' by Keith Delaplane